How to turn a Dresser into a Vanity

by Laura on August 29, 2012

The hallway bathroom vanity was funky.
That’s just saying nice things about it.
MM re-did this antique dresser that happen to be a curbside fiesta find! {free}
I love the colors, design, hardware, the middle drawer…..
He customized the sides and also the middle drawer panel with a deep turquoise!
The hardware was purchased from Hobby Lobby.
We’ve had this dresser for over a year now.
After moving into the new house there wasn’t much space for it… except in the bathroom.

BE36575B, Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

This is the “before”….1 year ago!

How We Made This Vanity:
Materials:
 Awesome Dresser.
The cute little sink was given to us by the neighbors from a recent project they did. {score}
{I have seen the same sink at our Austin Habitat for Humanity ReStore for super cheap.}
The faucet is from Lowe’s, on clearance for $78.
Tools:
Cardboard, marker, jigsaw, clear silicone, 1×2 wood for walls in drawers
The top of this dresser had been refinished in a Dark Walnut Stain and had 3 coats of sealer on top.

Uploaded with Snapbucket

I would definitely recommend a very well treated/sealed surface!
Remove all the drawers.
Measure sink by making a template on cardboard.
Now we measured approx 1 inch inside the outlined circle. We did this so that your sink hole creates a ledge or lip for the sink edge to actually sit on.
 Cut out the cardboard template and place on top of vanity.
Make sure that you have enough clearance under the top of vanity for sink.
Outline your template & cut out hole using a jigsaw.
{we did not cut out the faucet holes, we just cut out 1 large hole for the entire sink}

Lay sink in to check for placement & fit. {do happy dance}
Apply clear silicone to underside of sink then replace the sink in hole.
Attach faucet per instructions. We also applied more clear silicone here.
Now the drawers!! This is my favorite part!
Each drawer was still utilized for maximum storage in the bathroom.
All credit goes to MM for this.
He basically cut a big “U” out of the middle of the top drawer.
Then built little walls to line the edges.
The middle drawer got the same treatment, just a smaller notch.
This was all fitted to our own plumbing.
The bottom drawer has one small notch in the back.

All the inside of the drawers got painted crisp white.
For the plumbing holes in back MM measured where each hole should be and cut accordingly.
Attach your plumbing via personal handy man Markie Mark.
Vanity Before!
Vanity After !
eeeeek! I’m so excited this is done! I have storage in the bathroom finally!
I still need to add a black splash to the vanity, stain the floor under the vanity,
 & hang a mirror. Almost there!
Random note:
 Im probably the last to know about this! & I’m addicted to talking with figurines and pictures now.
5F67113D, Uploaded with Snapbucket
I was laughing so hard at our converstaions last night.
See the progress of the Remodel from the start HERE
Check out our \ PROJECT GALLERY // for more awesomeness !!
XO Laura

Linking:
Savvy Southern Style
ReStore Interiors
Miss Mustard Seed
Redoux
LizMarie Blog
Shabby Nest
Not Just a Housewife
Carter’s Cottage

Don't Miss a Post -- Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

genta.h August 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm

It looks amazing!!! Great job :) Oh, I’m still giggling about the text convo, haha!!

Sooner Laura August 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love it. What a great repurpose of an old dresser. WAY better than the old vanity for sure!

suzyq August 30, 2012 at 4:59 am

This is the best post I could have read since I have a dresser I want to turn into a vanity – THANKS so much for a great tutorial!
Definitely your newest follower!
Would love to have you come be for a visit and follow back when you have the time
Hugs,
Suzan

Suzan August 31, 2012 at 7:32 am

Great post! I have a dresser that will be my vanity as soon as I can manage to get the feet cut off, paint it, redo the drawers inside and slap a sink on top. I NEED a MM!

Fiona, LilyfieldLife August 31, 2012 at 7:57 am

hi, saw this over at Frugal Friday. I did a similar thing in my bathroom but replaced the wood top with stone. isn’t it lovely living with a beautiful piece of furniture rather than a modern vanity. here’s mine if you are interested: http://www.lilyfieldlife.com/2012/06/turning-vintage-furniture-bathroom.html

mine was a cupboard and not drawers

cheers Fiona

Rebecca August 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’ve really wanted to try something like this, but since we live in a townhouse and only plan to stay for about 5 more years, probably not a good idea! Guess I’ll just have to drool over yours!

MONICA LIVAS August 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Wonderful!

Shelly Andrade September 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Laura, how fun!! Your vanity turned out awesome!! It’s been on my to do list for quite some time and I had the perfect piece to do it with too but it sold before I could tear out my old cabinets – big boo boo lip:) You’re going to love that piece for years to come! a hui hou, Shelly

Tammy September 2, 2012 at 12:15 am

This is awesome! What a great tutorial! You must be super excited. I am your newest follower. I hope you can visit me sometime too :) Also, I would love for you to come and share this at my linky party called Rustic Restorations Weekend. http://homespunhappenings-tammy.blogspot.com/2012/08/rustic-restorations-weekend-18.html

Tammy September 3, 2012 at 3:19 am

Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

boo September 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Great Job!!!!

Christie September 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm

That is stunning! Love the colors and the lines! Would also love for you to share over at http://www.Carterscottage.net My Monday Muse tomorrow!
Hope to see you there!
Christie

The Thrifty Challenge September 3, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Oh I love your new vanity so much. What a brilliant idea. It looks excellent.

Shiloh September 10, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Beautiful! My MIL has a dresser vanity, and i think it’s so cool.

newtoFurnitureredo March 18, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I have a dresser I’m wanting to redo in these same colors. Any tips on the techniques/paints/colors that he used to do the original refinishing? It looks absolutely fantastic, but I’m a beginner and afraid my inexperience will make a product not as awesome

orly July 10, 2014 at 7:42 pm